We recently bought a bunch of bananas (organic) from our local, usual store, but I was frustrated to see only a few days later a seeming cloud of fruit flies emerging from the fruit! As annoying as they are, thankfully there is a simple solution to catching fruit flies with ease, and you probably already have the needed items on hand.
Homemade “Fruit Fly Catching” Solution
What you will need:
- 2-3 tbsp Bragg’s Apple Cider Vinegar (w/ mother) (I HIGHLY recommend buying the gallon sized of this vinegar. It is a very valuable commodity item that can be used in myriad ways to benefit your overall health, including making an awesome hair conditioner…more on that another time)
- 3-4 drops dishwashing liquid
- Container (preferably one with a narrow tip and wider bottom)
- Plastic wrap
- Rubber band
- Fork, or something to poke holes
- Taking your preferably narrow tipped container, pour in a few tablespoons of vinegar. I specify Bragg’s Apple Cider Vinegar because my experience with other vinegars have not gone nearly as well, plus they tend to have an icky smell. Bragg’s works like a charm!
- Add in a quick squirt (3-4 drops-worth) of whatever dishwashing liquid you have.
- Give it a good swirl to mix the vinegar and dishwashing liquid, creating bubbles.
- Cover the top with plastic wrap and hold in place with a rubber band.
- Poke a few holes in the top…I have seen instructions saying to make them very tiny, but my experience tells me that too small of a hole means the flies will not enter, so I tend to make holes about 2-3 mm to make sure they have enough room to enter, but still covering the top.
- Place in area where the most fruit flies are congregating and watch the magic happen!
I have seen dead flies in this mixture within a half an hour of making it and placing it in the central area of irritation. I suggest changing out the solution every 4 days to a week, depending on the amount of dead flies contained within. Repeat the procedure again and again until no more fruit flies are hanging around your kitchen. Enjoy!
Some links contained within are affiliate links, which means I will receive a small commission should you choose to purchase. Thank you for your support.
Latest posts by JulieFilter (see all)
- Stop Being a Control Freak in Your Marriage - October 27, 2014
- Accepting My Husband As He Is - October 20, 2014
- Frugal Meal Planning: A “How To” 101 + My Plan This Week - October 19, 2014
- OAMC Menu Solutions
- Life Can Be Like “Herding Cats”