This Frugal Friday I bring you a family favorite and SUPER frugal, yet delicious and enjoyable, meal. Several years ago I stumbled upon a blog post or something with this recipe. I have no idea where I found it and have not been able to find it since, but the recipe is so easy it has stuck with me ever since. I think we have tweaked the recipe a bit, so this is the time-tested, child-approved, budget-friendly version that I am sure everyone will enjoy!
Frugal Friday: Delicious and CHEAP Lentils and Rice
I am going to give you the ingredients in the amounts for a single serving, so multiply as needed. To feed my kids (and myself) a hearty lunch of just this dish I will quadruple the recipe so that they can have seconds if desired…today’s pot was emptied by the time lunch was over. If you have a smaller family, or are using this as a side dish rather than the main course, simply multiply in smaller amounts.
- 1/2 cup brown rice
- 1/4 cup green lentils
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1/4-1/3 cup water, used separate from cooking water
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Add rice, lentils, and first amount of water (multiplied as necessary) to an appropriately sized pot. Bring to boil.
- Once boiling, lower heat and let simmer for 40 minutes, or until lentils and rice are thoroughly cooked through.
- Add second portion of water, plus salt and pepper to taste, and stir the pot thoroughly to distribute the seasoning and incorporate the water.
- Let simmer for another 5-10 minutes. The additional water makes the dish risotto-like and brings a final touch to the texture.
- Taste the dish and add more salt and pepper as necessary…don’t skimp on this area! If it doesn’t taste divine, add a little more =0)
- You can top with a lower fat cheese, if desired (or a regular one for the kids). Enjoy!